Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Low Volume

One of the things I learned from Yoshiko Jinzenji's book is that simple shapes and simple piecing can create wonderful quilts. While I'm not close to her exquisite work with simple shapes, I do love creating that way.  This quilt is all about placement of values.  The dark in this quilt is Kona ash, which in many quilts acts as a light.  It also has Kona pale flesh, a subtle gray/white stripe, Kona white and Kona snow which together create this subtle, low volume quilt.
This is one of the quilts that I gave Angela to use for her book on machine quilting and it came back in the mail all quilted up. Genius again!  I can't wait to get my hands on her book.
I haven't seen it for so long, I forgot how much I liked it. So funny that it's so much the same as this quilt...just different shapes.
I'm glad I took the time to do a bias binding.  I love stripes on the bias.
I'm kinda in love with the back as much as the front.
It's that amazing Jay McCarroll Habitat fabric.  I adore that fabric.  My youngest son, Jon, loves the back of this quilt too...and as he told me, "The back is WAY better than the front."
This one will be donated to the BASIC's program as soon as I have a nice full box to send.  I hope some little girl who likes pink gets this one.

27 comments:

Cheryl Arkison said...

I was just wondering about this quilt! A great combined effort!

Marty Mason said...

Smashing quilting.....and fabrics...front and back!

Doreen said...

Oh, my goodness!! That is gorgeous! Have bookmarked this for a future quilt. Thanks so much for the lovely post. Hugs,

Jess @ Elven Garden Quilts said...

I love the subtle colours in this - it's beautiful!

Esch House Quilts said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love neutral quilts and adding that bit of Pale Flesh in there is perfect.

Angela Nash said...

I can't believe the dark is Ash! Very cool study in value.

And Angela's quilting really is amazing. The shift from leaf pattern to the flower pattern is seamless as it flows between the different sections. I would love to just watch her some day.

SusieDW said...

Ethereal, like the fog creeping over the western coastal mtns or the Golden Gate Bridge. Gorgeous and comfy.

Paula said...

Love this neutral quilt....and I am not a neutral girl! Fabulous as always!!

Coming to town for a book signing???

Quilt+Bitch said...

As always, beautiful quilt! Your choice of quilting lines is spectacular!

Tracey Jacobsen said...

it's so soothing and pretty... and the quilting - wow, really a beautiful collaboration

ali said...

Wow--I'm kinda in love with the whole thing--amazing. Breathtaking in its complex simplicity!

CitricSugar said...

It's absolutely gorgeous. She does such an amazing job of quilting...

I adore the subtlety of the top and the graphic style of the back. Stunning.

Michelle said...

Oh, my...that free-motion quilting is to die for! I love that the lightest shade has the flower design and everything else has the leaves. The colors are just gorgeous as well. Definitely a keeper! Oh wait...definitely one to give to someone else to love!

Flaun of I Plead Quilty! said...

What a beautiful quilt for Victoria's charity; an amazing designer and and amazing longarmer both working on a piece for some lucky girl in New York!

wishes, true and kind said...

Absolutely gorgeous quilt + quilting perfection! You are both geniuses!

Patrick said...

Simply beautiful (pun intended).

Life by Design said...

This designs are look so simple and colorful.This one is Habitat fabric.It really gorgeous.

2ndAvenueStudio-Rachel said...

oh I do love a low volume quilt...
just lovely..

lindsey said...

I love this quilt, beautiful fabric, amazing quilting....very clever!

chimes said...

I love the use of the habitat print. They can be overwhelming (I love them though) but this is the most subtle use I've seen. great work!

patty a. said...

I am a real fan of Yoshiko Jinzenji's work too. I have been collecting low volume prints for awhile to put into a quilt. Your quilt is lovely! The quilting is beautiful too. It makes me want to go home right now (sorry boss, I'm sick and I need to leave - ha, ha!) and start my own low volume quilt.

Jenny M said...

Some lucky girl will treasure this beautiful quilt.

Anonymous said...

Your low volume quilt speaks loudly only in its beauty. Wonderful. And the quilting makes it sing.
Debbie R.

Tommy said...

First time visitor,really love the low volume quilt.With my limited ability,,really give me hope.. Thanks for all useful information...

Tommy

Patty said...

I really love how you have a symbiotic relationship with your quilters. Of course, I'm entralled with how Angela and Cheryl come up with their ideas for quilting. I'd love a chance just to sit and listen to the three of you talk about the process and trust and connectedness you find in making an artful piece.

Bronwen said...

Gorgeous work. I'd love to make a muted palette / simple shape quilt one day and this is definitely inspiration.

Lisa said...

As usual you have hit a homerun.